07 December 2009

Under the cover of darkness

It's now just after 2pm, and I've been up for 11 hours now. Why, you ask? There was a job that needed doing in the wee small hours of the morning.

Last night, I got a call saying the job I had agreed to do might be happening around 4:00, and asking if I was available. I said yes, and was told that I would be rewarded handsomely.

I showered at 8:45 last night and went to bed at 9, so I would be well-rested when the time came.

I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing at 3:09 this morning, and I answered it to hear my contact's voice. He asked if I could meet him outside my place in 10-15 minutes, and I said yes. I quickly dressed, and went outside at 3:18. I waited for my contact, watching the cars go by with suspicion. After 5 minutes, my contact arrived in a dark-colored SUV. We drove on, picking up another accomplice on the way to the job. My contact made many calls, making sure the rest of the team was organized and knew how best to approach the area.

We arrived at 3:40, which was early, so we did a quick sweep of the area, trying to figure out how easy the job would be. We then waited in the vehicle while the others arrived slowly. It was nearly 4:00 when the leader of our team arrived, and he gave us our final instructions "Don't hurry. Make it look good, that's what we're being paid for." He then went to unlock the door. He had it open in a flash, and we started to divvy up what was inside.

The job took two and a half hours to complete, even though there were about half a dozen of us. But we finally finished shoveling all the sidewalks in that gated community.

After finishing, my contact dropped me off at the MU for MMP, after which I showered, changed, and did laundry. While reading the Daily and waiting for my clothes to be done in the washer, I saw that my horoscope read "You will do more today than you have done in the last week." That made me laugh, even though I was nearly too tired to even lift the paper.

3 comments:

  1. Crazy how those horoscopes work ;p?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hah! That was fun.
    "...was told that I would be rewarded handsomely" Did I really say that? I must not have been awake yet;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd call $15 per hour handsomely. But maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete