10 December 2011

Shoe Repair

A little while ago, I thought about going to bed. Then I realized, I'm only 25 and it's only 8:30 and just because I have to be somewhere at 6, I'm thinking about going to bed? I've gotten old fast. Just about 4 years ago, I stayed up all night to watch all the Star Wars films in a row--after having been up since 6 that morning.

Anyway, I decided to postpone bed. First, I checked the mail. Only one piece of mail, and that for the elder of my roommates. Then I decided I'd finally try to do what I wanted to do--fix the problem of my shoes. See, a lot of the time, after having a pair of shoes for a while, they'll start cutting into my heels when I wear them. I tried to fix that problem on another pair in high school, which started with a little duct tape, and ended in a mission to cover the entire shoe--inside and outside--in duct tape, which was foiled by my mom, saying "what will people think if I let you go out in shoes like that?" The obvious answer to that question is of course "That I have the coolest parents ever." She didn't see it that way, so I had to get new shoes.

Anyway, this time I wanted to improve the repair over last time, since the duct tape took a lot of layers to do anything. The problem is, the new repair plan would involve putting cotton balls under the duct tape, and I didn't have cotton balls. So I put on my boots and headed out. The gas station didn't have any, so I headed to the nearby pharmacy. After getting back, I sent out a simple text to a friend in Ames. It read "Pick a color." He responded with "taupe". So first I had to google it to figure out what taupe was (I'm a guy and I'm colorblind--color names don't mean much to me unless they're "real colors" and not "woman colors") and then I picked out the roll from my duct tape collection which most resembled the results. I used that to repair the shoes, and decided to write about it here, so he could find out why I asked him to pick a color without telling him why. But seriously, taupe? Who in their right mind picks taupe? Crazy kid.

Well, I'm sleepy now. I should probably hit the hay. Nighty-night everybody.

1 comment: