15 August 2010

I feel like a traitor

I got a new pair of flip-flops today. I had to. My last pair was ruined 6 days ago because of a combination of road tar, blistering temperatures, and laundry. Long story short, I was on my way back from doing laundry and I saw that they were re-tarring the street my apartment is on--and I was on the wrong side! I had a choice: either cross and risk ruining my flip-flops, or go about 3 blocks out of my way to go around. Of course, because of the heat, I chose to cross. After one step in the tar, my flip-flops ripped off my feet, and I was essentially walking barefoot across the tar--so now there's tar in the shower.

Anyway, I had had those flip-flops since I started college--in 2004! They had lasted for 6 years, and Iowa City killed them. But that's not why I feel like a traitor--not completely, anyway. My new ones are Hawkeye flip-flops. I feel like a traitor against my family because of that. But I gotta fit in--at least a little.

1 comment: