07 February 2010

Poll explanation

As pointed out in the last post, I have started a poll about Nerd Day. You may have noticed a typo in one of the possible answers: "wating" instead of "waiting". I would have changed this, but I didn't notice until someone had voted, and Google won't let me edit a poll that someone has voted on, and I'm too apathetic about the misspelling to delete the poll and restart it. If I were to do that, the answers would be very different: "No Picard, No Pike"; "No Picard, Yes Pike"; "Yes Picard, No Pike"; "Yes Picard, Yes Pike"; and "Ralph Nader" (Yes, it's an old joke, but I'm an old joker).

Anyway, I have not voted in the poll--and I mean not to. I do have a first choice--and a second choice--but I will not reveal these until the poll is over--so it can't be argued that I influenced my own poll.

In the event of a tie, I have three options open to me: I can force a run-off, and throw out all that weren't tied at the end; I can say "I didn't vote yet" and/or "I started this poll" and use this/these to break the tie; or I can take the tyrannical dictator option and throw out the poll completely (I could do this even if there isn't a tie). Which option I take depends on what is tied with what. If my first choice is tied with anything else, I will break the tie in favor of that. If my first choice isn't tied, I will have a run-off poll, and keep the decision out of my hands--even if it means not having either my first or second choice. I will not use the fact that I didn't vote to force my top choice into a tie--if it's one vote behind, it loses, just like any other option would.

For any that are wondering when Nerd Day would be, it depends--if a "wait for Next Gen" option wins, we may be waiting for a while; if not, it would be some Saturday in March or April, probably starting around noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment